Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/spartan1/public_html/Forums/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Crash tested on first ever track day
Spartan Apparel Discussion Forums
June 27, 2017, 10:35:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Crash tested on first ever track day  (Read 5492 times)
rurugger
Track Newbie

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »

On the fourth session of my first ever track day, I found myself in the middle of a group of riders going into a turn, the person in front of me got on the brakes hard, I freaked out and grabbed too much front brake, lost the front and low-sided on the right side, going probably around 60mph into a right turn.
Helmet never touched the ground, small scuff mark on the boot toe, palm of the glove, and most of the impact on the shoulder and hip.
Pics:
Butt and right hip:

Small scuffs on the calf:

The main damaged part - right shoulder. It seems that the white leather is quite thin and worn through quickly, but the second layer of thick black leather underneath it is pretty much untouched:

Right forearm.  The Spartan logo appears to be the only place that isn't triple stitched, so the letters ripped off. No big deal obviously.

Right hip again.  Same issue with the logo as on the forearm, but the actual suit has only minor scuff marks:

Small scuff marks on the calf.  And I have to say, having done this for the first time, dragging knee pucks around is very fun Smiley

Overall, the suit very much did its job - I felt literally no pain, and couldn't find any damage on my body until later that night when I saw a small bruise on the hip; I suppose that makes sense since the hip protection is just a small foam piece.
As I said, I'm new to this -this is my first leather suit, and was my first day at the track, but I'm very happy with how it worked out.  If I had to make suggestions for improvement, the two would be 1) better hip armor (didn't matter this time, but I can see hurting the hip if it takes the brunt of the impact) and 2) thicker outer layer of leather on the shoulder.
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: